首页 > >
US sanctions Putin, Lavrov over Russian military operation in Ukraine******
White House Press Secretary Jen Psaki speaks during the daily press briefing in the White House on February 25, 2022.
The administration of US President Joe Biden will sanction Russian President Vladimir Putin and Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov over Moscow's ongoing military operation in Ukraine, the White House confirmed on Friday.
"In alignment with the decision by our European allies, the United States will join them in sanctioning President Putin and Foreign Minister Lavrov and members of the Russian national security team," White House press secretary Jen Psaki told a regular news briefing on Friday, adding more specifics will be announced later in the day.
The US move followed that of the European Union and Britain, which announced sanctions targeting the top Russian leadership earlier on Friday.
Biden on Thursday announced additional US sanctions against Russia targeting the country's major financial institutions and an additional number of Russian individuals and their family members with ties to the Kremlin, on top of the so-called "first tranche" of sanctions imposed on Russian state-owned banks, the Russian sovereign debt market as well as individual elites.
Asked about the possibility of his Russian counterpart, Biden didn't commit to that on Thursday, only saying it remained an option on the table.
Psaki said Friday the reason Biden waited until after the EU and Britain announced their sanctions against the Russian president to decide on his own move is that his "strong principle ... has been to take actions and steps in alignment with our European partners."
Also on Friday, a senior administration official said future US sanctions will not target Russian oil and gas industry.
"The sanctions will not target the oil flows as we go forward," Amos Hochstein, the State Department's senior energy security adviser, said in an interview on Bloomberg Television.
Hochstein said doing so won't necessarily reduce Russia's oil and gas revenue, and may instead lead to a scenario where "the United States and our allies would suffer the consequences."
Beijing 2022 provides athlete******
BEIJING, Nov. 26 (Xinhua) -- The Beijing Organizing Committee for the 2022 Olympic and Paralympic Winter Games (BOCOG) said at a press conference on Friday that more than 9,000 volunteers will provide athlete-centered services in the Beijing 2022 Winter Paralympics.。
Yong Zhijun, deputy director of the sports department of the China Disabled Persons' Federation, said that Chinese Paralympic athletes have only competed in cross-country skiing and wheelchair curling before China bid for the 2022 Olympic and Paralympic Winter Games. Now, about 115 Chinese Paralympic athletes are ready to attend all six sports, and the number of Chinese athletes with disabilities participating in winter sports has hit more than one thousand.。
Yang Jinkui, head of the BOCOG Paralympic Games Integration Department, said that the five competition venues and the three Olympic and Paralympic Villages have been ready for the Paralympics, and 19 volunteers with disabilities will also serve the Games.。
"Beijing Winter Olympic and Paralympic Village conducted all-factor tests on the barrier-free facilities last weekend, and 13 wheelchair users also got involved, which were proved to be effective," said Shen Qianfan, director of the BOCOG Village Planning and Operation Department.。
Wang Quanyi, deputy director of the Public Health Office of BOCOG Games Services Department, said that the athletes and coaches in the Paralympics will be allowed to take off masks if necessary to communicate with each other through lip language and facial expressions, but they should still keep in an appropriate distance.。
During the Beijing 2022 Winter Paralympics, about 119 medical staff will provide service in need for the Paralympic athletes in the alpine skiing, said Zhang Suzhi, executive deputy director of the BOCOG Yanqing Operation Center. Enditem。
Guizhou FC's future in doubt after players threaten to sue over unpaid wages******
BEIJING, Nov. 5 (Xinhua) -- The future of China's second-tier Guizhou FC is rumored to be in doubt after senior players threatened to lodge a lawsuit against the club over unpaid salaries.。
A letter signed by 27 Guizhou players emerged on Thursday night claiming that the club owed them as many as 14-and-a-half months' wages on top of sizable bonuses dating back to 2019.。
The players said in the letter that they had been tricked into signing documents at the beginning of this year to prove that they had been paid in full, so as to gain permission from the Chinese Football Association to play in this season's league.。
"We intend to uphold our legitimate rights and interests by resorting to legal means, and look forward to relevant authorities doing us justice," the players said in the letter.。
Guizhou player Zhao Hejing said that the club even could not afford a proper field for its players to train.。
"We had to work out in gyms or on cement road to maintain fitness," he said.。
The players said they will not play for Guizhou FC when the league resumes in a week's time, unless they get paid.。
The Guiyang-based club, which had reportedly dished out 10 million yuan (around 1.56 million U.S. dollars) in cash per game to inspire its players to victory in 2018 when they were struggling in the Chinese Super League (CSL) under Gregorio Manzano, has all but been put out of business, according to Chinese media.。
The club was banned by FIFA at the end of the 2020 season from introducing or registering any players for three years after they refused to pay 3.8 million euros in compensation to Manzano, who was sacked in June 2018 after guiding the club to only one win in 11 games.。
According to analysis from Chinese football journalist Bai Guohua, Guizhou FC will be left to fold with its debt, and a new club will be built, free of debt, to compete in China's four-tier league with the hope of playing in the CSL one day. Enditem。
China imports Russian crude oil using sea******
XI'AN, Nov. 14 (Xinhua) -- A chartered train commissioned to transport crude oil from Russia arrived in northwest China's Shaanxi Province Saturday, the first delivery of the commodity using marine-railway transportation.。
The 2,000-tonne consignment was first shipped from the port of Kozmino in Russia to the port of Qingdao, east China's Shandong Province, and then transported by railway over 1,200 km to the refinery of the Shaanxi Yanchang Petroleum (Group) Co., Ltd. in the city of Yulin, Shaanxi.。
The import also marks the opening of the new sea-rail transport route.。
Yanchang Petroleum has invested 159 million yuan (about 24.9 million U.S. dollars) to improve the crude oil unloading work at the refinery in Yulin, where imported Russian crude can be directly processed into petroleum, diesel oil, polyolefin and other products.。
The company plans to increase the processing of crude oil by 500,000 tonnes a year, which would have an annual output value of 3 billion yuan in the future. Enditem。